How Do I File a Vehicle Accident Report in Anchorage, Alaska?

UntitledIf you are involved in a motor vehicle accident in Anchorage, Alaska, you are required to file an accident report with the Department of Motor Vehicles. You do not file this form with the Municipality of Anchorage even though the accident may have occurred within the city limits. After an accident, remain at the scene of the accident, and call 911 immediately to report the accident to law enforcement officials. If there are injuries that require immediate medical attention, notify the 911 operator that an ambulance is needed. Leaving the scene of an accident without providing your information to the other driver or the police could be considered a “hit and run” and you could face a misdemeanor or felony charge.

Exchange Information with the Other Driver

By law, you are required to exchange certain information with the other driver including your name and address, the name of the person who owns the car (if you are not the owner), the name of your insurance company, and your insurance policy number. If the police investigate the accident scene, they will also require this information for the police report.

File a Crash Report with the Department of Motor Vehicles

Regardless of whether the police respond to the scene of the accident, Alaska requires that you file a crash report with the Department of Motor Vehicles. There are two options for filing the crash report: Use Alaska Motor Vehicle Crash Form 12209 to self-report a vehicle accident where the police did not respond to the accident or file a Certificate of Insurance form with the DMV if a police officer does respond to the crash, conducts an investigation, and provides you with a case number.

You must file the Alaska Motor Vehicle Crash Form 12209 if the police did respond but instructed you to self-report the crash. This form must be filed within 10 days of the date of the accident. The Certificate of Insurance form must be filed within 15 days of the date of the accident.

Both of these forms are available online on the Alaska Department of Transportation & Public Facilities Website. You must download and print the forms to complete and mail to the DMV Main Office in Juneau, Alaska. The system does not allow you to file either report online.

In addition to reporting the vehicle accident to the police and to the Department of Motor Vehicle, you must also report the crash to your insurance company. This should be done as soon as possible following the crash. Your insurance company will instruct you on what information you need to provide to them in order for a claim to be opened.

Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys in Anchorage, Alaska

The personal injury attorneys of Kelley & Canterbury, LLC. can help you with the legal side of an accident claim while you focus on recovering from your injuries. Being in a car accident can be overwhelming due to the financial burden placed on you and your family in addition to the emotional and physical damages you are suffering from the accident. The financial burden can be devastating if you are unable to return to work after the accident. Contact our office for a free consultation by calling (907) 276-8185 to discuss your legal options for seeking justice from the at-fault driver.